Alexander Anderson from Northern Ireland arrived in 1836 and headed south to become one of the leading farmers in Morphett Vale. Although a non Catholic, he sold an acre of his land at Morphett Vale to the Catholic Church and subsequently attended the opening of St. Mary’s Help of Christians, South Australia’s first purpose-built church that still in use. He sponsored the Manning family from Six-Mile-Bridge, Clare in 1848. Anderson was also a signatory to the petition in 1845 against the Colony becoming a penal colony.
“Alexander Anderson,” Irish Place Names in Australia, accessed July 19, 2018, http://irishplaces.flinders.edu.au/items/show/370.