The O’Halloran’s of Limerick were a military family who served in the Indian army. Both Thomas and his brother William sold their commissions and immigrated to Australia. Major Thomas Shouldham (TS) bought land south of Adelaide and named his house there Lizard Lodge after the lizard that features on the O’Halloran coat of arms. He was SA’s first Commissioner of Police and although not a Catholic, he was supportive of his countrymen and women, attending the opening of St. Mary’s in Morphett Vale and advocating for increased infrastructure for the southern farming and viticultural areas. He was one of the founders of the St. Patrick’s Society that sponsored Irish girls orphaned as a result of the Famine. His brother William was auditor-general
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/manning/pn/o/o1.htm ; Adele Pridmore, The Rich Valley, Lutheran Publishing House, 1982; W A Norman, The History of the City of Mitcham, 1954
“O’Halloran Hill,” Irish Place Names in Australia, accessed June 24, 2017, http://irishplaces.flinders.edu.au/items/show/313.