Edward Burton Gleeson settled in Clare circa 1842 and became its first mayor. His mansion, Inchiquin, is still standing and is owned by the current mayor. Gleeson arrived from Calcutta on the Emerald Isle with his wife, Harriet, and children and his brother Hampton Carroll and family. Gleeson also brought with him a number of coolies and some valuable horses. One horse, Abdallah, was offered immediately for stud services at his residence at Gleeville on the road to Stringy Bark (see Gleeville). Gleeville farm was soon producing wheat, barley, oats, maize, and potatoes. The Gleesons were generous supporters of Adelaide’s early religious and lay institutions, including the Turf Club and the St. Patrick’s Society, donating money and taking part in their administration. At E B’s funeral in 1870 the Freemasons attended in full regalia. Clare in Irish comes from clár, a level place. Clare and Tipperary were the main sources of Irish migration to South Australia in the nineteenth century. In 1857 on the visit of Governor and Lady McDonnell the Clare people erected a triumphal arch with the words Cead Mille Failthe (Ir. céad mile fáilte ‘a hundred thousand welcomes’).
|Item: Edward Burton Gleeson||dcterms:relation||This Item|
“Clare,” Irish Place Names in Australia, accessed July 19, 2018, http://irishplaces.flinders.edu.au/items/show/206.