This Hundred was named for the Irish town in County Cork by Governor Buxton in honour of Sir George Strickland Kingston who arrived aged 29 as Deputy Surveyor to Colonel Light. Kingston-designed buildings still standing include parts of Government House, the original section of Adelaide Gaol, Cummins House (Camden Park), Kingston House (Marino) and The Braes (Reynella). Kingston designed the first monument to Colonel Light in Light Square in 1843. The monument did not last because of the quality of the stone. Kingston was also a representative for Burra, Clare, and Stanley, entering politics in 1851. He was the first Speaker of the House of Assembly, a position he held for almost 25 years. His son, Charles Cameron, became premier. The Irish town Bandon is named after the river Bann, which in turn is named after the Celtic goddess and possibly bean the Irish word for ‘woman’.
This item has no relations.
Governor Buxton, “Bandon,” Irish Place Names in Australia, accessed July 16, 2018, http://irishplaces.flinders.edu.au/items/show/194.