North-west of the town of Clare in South Australia is the beautiful ‘Valley of Armagh’. The South Australian Armagh was named by either Patrick Butler or E B Gleeson from Clare, Ireland, or William Henry Clark. Clark was born at Newry, County Armagh, and arrived on the Sir Charles Forbes in 1839. Patrick Butler arrived from Wicklow on the Prince Regent in 1839. He became a farmer on the Gilbert and died in Clare, South Australia in 1876. Patrick Butler’s house served as a church before St. Michael’s was built in Clare. Fathers O’Mahony and Ryan were the officiating priests. Armagh may also have been named by Edward Burton Gleeson, the ‘Father of Clare’ who arrived on the Emerald Isle from India in 1838. He moved from Adelaide, north to what he settled and named Clare. His estate and house was named Inchiquin after the place name in Clare, Ireland. The house remains and is in private hands. The Valley of Armagh is surrounded by soft undulating hills and dotted with homes that sport Irish names. Armagh in Irish is Árd Mhaca ‘Macha’s Height’ named after Macha an Irish queen.
|Item: Armagh||dcterms:relation||This Item|
“Armagh North,” Irish Place Names in Australia, accessed July 19, 2018, http://irishplaces.flinders.edu.au/items/show/183.