Browse Items (196 total)

Cape Torrens

The cape is named for Robert Richard Torrens of Co. Cork, South Australia’s first premier. From 1840 up to 100 Irish families a month arrived as a result of his promotion of South Australia.

Careys Gully

According to the South Australian online gazetteer Carey Gully was named by ‘Young’ in 1849 after a Patrick Carey. Nothing is known about this person, and we are making an assumption that Patrick Carey was an Irishman. Why ‘Young’ named this…

Cash Hill

Thomas Patrick Cash’s mother was Mary Cash of Kerry who came with her parents Mr and Mrs Ignatius O’Sullivan in 1840 on the Mary Dugdale (see O’Sullivan Beach). His father was Patrick Cash from Wexford. Cash Hill is east of Baird Bay on the…

Catherine

This is now a sub-division of Morphett Vale. In 1855 it included the Emu Inn licensed by Alexander Anderson from Offaly. As early as 1840 he served as a postmaster here. His wife’s name was Catherine.

Cavan

This area is named after the Cavan Arms hotel whose first licensee was Bernard Gillick from Cavan, Ireland who arrived in 1850 on the Joseph Somes. ‘Cavan’ was also the name of a John Lynch’s homestead near Terowie. He was born in Cavan,…

Cavandale

Patrick Dowd came from Cavan in 1857. The Dowds had seven children under 13: one was born on the voyage. He worked for the railways until he had enough money to buy some land. In 1860 he had 24 acres, 1865 3000 acres, and by 1874 he had 7000 acres.…

Tags:

Clanfergil/Clan Feargal

Now part of the Repatriation Hospital grounds on Daws Road, this land was bought by Captain William O’Halloran (brother of Thomas Shouldham O’Halloran). In 1844 he was growing maize. The name of the house, Clanfergil was taken from the…

Clare

Edward Burton Gleeson settled in Clare circa 1842 and became its first mayor. His mansion, Inchiquin, is still standing and is owned by the current mayor. Gleeson arrived from Calcutta on the Emerald Isle with his wife, Harriet, and children and his…