Browse Items (10 total)

  • Coverage is exactly "Hundred of Noarlunga"

Somerton

Somerton is a suburb in the City of Holdfast Bay. It was named by James Walsh who purchased land there in 1854 and who hailed from this Dublin, Ireland suburb.

O’Sullivan Beach

Ignatius O’Sullivan from Kerry arrived on the Mary Dugdale in 1840 with his family. Stone from his property was used to build St. Mary’s Help of Christians Catholic church in Morphett Vale. Daughter Mary, who was eight when they arrived, married…

O’Halloran’s Well

T S O’Halloran paid for a well to be sunk near the roadway on his property at OHalloran Hill. Passers-by were welcome to use the well to refresh themselves and their horses. Once some wag wrote on the ‘O’Halloran’s Well’ sign ‘Im very…

O’Halloran Hill

The O’Halloran’s of Limerick were a military family who served in the Indian army. Both Thomas and his brother William sold their commissions and immigrated to Australia. Major Thomas Shouldham (TS) bought land south of Adelaide and named his…

Moy Farm

In district ‘C’ lived Irish farmers John and Matthew Colville. There is a Moy in County Tyrone: Irish Maigh ‘a plain’.

Lizard Lodge

"Lizard Lodge", the home of Major T.S.O'Halloran of O'Halloran Hill
Major Thomas Shouldham O’Halloran named his house at O’Halloran Hill Lizard Lodge after the animal depicted in the O’Halloran family crest. The O’Hallorans were a Limerick family.

Kingston Park

Sir George Kingston arrived in 1836 on the Cygnet as South Australia’s Deputy Surveyor, and later set up as an architect. He was trained as an engineer, possibly in his birthplace of Cork, but certainly in Birmingham, England. Kingston was born,…

Kenihans Road

Hugh Kenihan was a landowner here in the early nineteenth century. Most of his land is under the Happy Valley Reservoir. The nearby Kingston-designed house the Braes was purchased by his son, Michael in 1869. Michael ran a dairy on Kenihans Road.…

Dunluce Estate

Now part of Brighton, Dunluce Estate was named by Alex and Will McCully after the place name near the Giant’s Causeway in County Antrim. The Irish Dún Libhse means ‘palace’.

Catherine

This is now a sub-division of Morphett Vale. In 1855 it included the Emu Inn licensed by Alexander Anderson from Offaly. As early as 1840 he served as a postmaster here. His wife’s name was Catherine.